Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Cashew Accident




My mom was cutting raw cashews in their shell, and for an audience, she had Tarun. She had got those cashews from Kerala, some months back and she was going make theeyal (a curry) out of it. Well, the phone rang and she left the cashews and went to attend it. Then she came back and carried on with her work
After some time, Tarun went and told her that an ant had bitten his stomach and that it was itching. Mom inspected his stomach, and didn’t see anything. Then the little fellow went to sleep. Mummy just to check, lifted up his shirt, and she was shocked to see, pink burn like marks on his stomach. Only then did she realize that our little man had taken the cashew shells, when she had gone to attend the call, and placed it on his stomach. She then applied coconut oil to it – the panacea for all things of this kind.
The juice / sap like thing from the raw cashew, stains hands when touched, or if placed anywhere else, gives your skin a burnt appearance. Then the skin peels off and has to grow afresh.
In the evening after work when I went to pick him up from moms place, the fellow very proudly displayed his marks and told me (in all his toddler imagination) ''Ammachi cooker kondu polichatha'' (Grandmom did this using the pressure cooker). How we laughed. So much for my mom looking after him the whole day…

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Look at the little fellows expression.. he he.. so funny! Hmm news to me that cashew can "burn" also news to me that coconut oil is the med...:D

Anooja said...

Yes Abe. The fellow was cool and told and showed, who ever would listen to him, his "burns"

pearlie said...

I read this that day and I am not sure if I commented :) My mind is all over the place at the moment ... anyway, I am glad he is smiling already - when I read till the part where the cashews were left there, I went, oh dear!!! haha ... I only eat cashew nuts. I got to know about it "burning" when I visited a factory in Phuket, Thailand.

Anooja said...

Yes Pearlie.. it was one major joke at home.. the little fellow's burns :)
Thankfully it didnt become bad, has healed now,though there are light scars still.

Jewels said...

I never knew this. Glad he is better!