Friday, September 19, 2008

28th Day - Irivathiyettu Kettu



For us Malayalees, the 28 day after the baby is born, there is a custom called irivathiyettu kettu, where a black cord / thread is first tied around the waist of the baby, followed by a gold chain called the arinjanam.

Abhinav’s irivathiyettu kettu happened in a very simple way. For Tarun, we had invited friends and family and the function was followed by lunch. For Abhinav – I guess, him being the second – there was nothing much. My parents, and inlaws were present. George had gone to Hyderabad, so it was just the five of us.My father tied the black thread around the baby’s waist and my father-in-law, the arinjanam. This was followed, by lunch cooked by my mom. A simple function indeed :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm... funny, I have never seen this particular tradition among xians.

Anooja said...

I am surprised that u dont know abt it. Ask mom.I am a Marthomite and all of us follow this..May b some people, because it has no religious significance, tend to overlook it.

Primitive Lyric said...

I've never heard about this function either! I've never seen anyone in my family follow this either. So i'm really surprised.

Prakash Mannil said...

This 28th is my baby's 28th day as she born on 1st May. Me too a Marthomite and we follow this custom.

Anooja said...

Hii Prakash..Thats nice... GOd Bless Baby :)