Friday, October 26, 2007

Take 123

In the news channels, we see a lot of people opining on various things. It can be from Indo Pak relationships to the price of safety pins.
When I see this, I am reminded of an incident that happened quite some time back. This incident happened 6 years back. There was a company where I worked for a month. This company was a partnership firm and one of the partners was a politician’s son. (My mom was the most relieved when I quit the company, as she always imagined that politician’s sons were no good – but actually, this fellow was a decent person)
Well, one day, there was an India Pakistan match. There was a reporter from a popular channel, with the camera and crew. No names, as this person is a very popular politician now. This persons father and the partner’s father belonged to the same political party.
Well, they made us stand at various locations in the office (for it to look like they were actually interviewing people, from a lot of offices) and speak on Indo Pak unity. You won’t believe it; they took two of the employees to the beach, and interviewed them there, to again give the interview the appearance of mass coverage. I was shocked at this kind of journalism. Then, I was very excited about appearing on TV. But as soon as I saw the telecast, I was kind of ashamed; that I had participated in such a staging, duping the mass.
So even now, when I see people giving opinions and so on, I am reminded of this.
So much for responsible journalism !!!

1 comment:

Jewels said...

We had an experience that wasn't quite as underhanded but showed us that the journalists are going to tell the story they want to tell, not necessarily what the people being interviewed want to say.

Thanks for stopping by! I don't know much about India, but I currently reading a book about Dr. Brand who worked there and it has made me curious.

Blessings, Julia